After dinner tonight you don’t have to choose between kicking back and relaxing with an ice cold beer OR a delicious dessert. You can have BOTH! You can have your cake and drink it too. Let us be your guide to the delightful world of beer and dessert pairings.
- We will start here because this one is easy. A sweet Stout or a Porter is what you want to reach for with a chocolate dessert. The chocolatey flavors imparted by these dark-roasted malts will complement your dessert very nicely. Just be sure to avoid a ‘dry stout’ in this situation.
- Bonus: If your having a slice of rich chocolate cake, a fruit beer or a Lambic will add another dimension and act like a fruity topping.
- Fruity Desserts:
- A Belgium will give you a clean, crisp compliment to the acidity in the fruit and enhance the flavor of any crust. The orange, lemon, and lime notes of a Witbier can also enhance the fresh fruit flavor.
- Try pairing a sour beer with cheesecake. The rich, creaminess of the cheesecake will balance out the tartness of a sour beer. You can also try a Brown Ale to add a level of nuttiness to your cheesecake experience.
- Ice Cream:
- For every flavor of ice cream is a different potential beer pairing. Start with these guidelines, use a Stout to add chocolate or coffee flavors, Brown Ale to add nuttiness, Pilsner to add maltiness, or add a fruit beer for you guessed it – fruity flavor.
What are your favorite dessert and beer pairings? Do you prefer to add like flavor to like flavor or do you appreciate a good contrast? When in doubt, consult this great graphic from Shari’s Berries for the perfect pairing.