Nothing goes better with a good beer than meat cooked over an open flame in the summertime heat! A perfectly grilled bratwurst is one of our favorite foods to pair with beer during the summer. Once you have grilled up the perfect brat and poured the perfect beer, what else is needed? Here are a few of our suggestions for topping those gorgeous grill marks and rounding out your full plate.
- Mustard – Top of the list, no doubt about it. But go for the good stuff, no cheap yellow mustard will be found on our brats!
- Onions – To grill or not to grill, the choice is entirely yours. If you are grilling the onions, throw some bell peppers in with them, your veggie loving friends will thank you.
- Dill pickles or relish – Perfectly acceptable!
- Potato Salad – Whether your prefer this Southern style (slathered in mayo) or German style, you can’t go wrong nestling your brat up against a serving of potato salad.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – A summertime grilling classic that we think goes with any grilled meat. Step it up a notch at your next grill fest with these yummy variations.
- Coleslaw – Tried and true, with a mayo or vinegar dressing – we give this a green light. We will even look the other way if you choose to use coleslaw as a topping instead of a side.
- Baked Beans – Well, yeah – how can you have a summer get together without baked beans?
Sauerkraut – This deserves it’s very own category. Along with the beer, sauerkraut is really the only other must have in this situation. Sauerkraut can be used as a topping or as side item so be sure to have plenty on hand.
What are your favorite toppings and sides to round out the beer n’ brats? Let us know what we missed!